Friday, August 6, 2010

Blogging the Booker 2: Overview of the 2010 longlist

In this post, I'll quickly note what I know about each of the longlisted titles, and also outline my plan for the first few reviews...

Peter Carey Parrot and Olivier in America

This came out in Australia ages ago, and I read it then. Will be the first book reviewed - stay tuned!


Emma Donoghue Room

I had never heard of either author or book previously, but have read some good reviews. Have it ordered from the good folk at The Book Depository, so hope to read & review it soon-ish.

Helen Dunmore The Betrayal

I believe this one is a sequel, or part of a series or something. That makes me less keen to read it, since I've (obviously) not read the book/s before it.

Damon Galgut In a Strange Room

Know nothing about it. Will track down some reviews.

Howard Jacobson The Finkler Question

Another one I don't know much about, but apparently it's a comic novel. That could be promising.

Andrea Levy The Long Song

I read - & enjoyed - her previous book, Small Island, a few years ago. Will get to this at some point.

Tom McCarthy C

In the same order as Room, so another one I should be able to read/review soon. I enjoyed his first book, Remainder, although I didn't think it was the greatest thing ever, as some others did. Apparently this one is quite different - set in the early 20th century, I believe. (Sorry, Angie, but at least you're warned!)

David Mitchell The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

One of my favourite living authors, as mentioned in the previous post. I read this a couple of months ago, and loved it.

Lisa Moore February

Don't know anything about it.

Paul Murray Skippy Dies

This one sounds interesting - a comic boarding-school novel, that's so far been reviewed quite well. I just picked up a copy from the local library, so will get to it soon too. (It's pretty long, though.)

Rose Tremain Trespass

Know nothing about it.

Christos Tsiolkas The Slap

Quite the rage a little while ago here in Australia, but it passed me by. That said, have just got it from the library as well.

Alan Warner The Stars in the Bright Sky

Another one that is a blank slate for me.



Okay, so. I've read two already, have two sitting near me courtesy of middle-class welfare, and another two on their way to me. That's a good start. The shortlist is announced on 7 September, and the winner on 12 October.

Expect a review of the Carey early next week, and the Mitchell later in the week. By that point, I hope to have also read one of the others from today's library visit.

Onwards & upwards! I look forward to doing this, but also hope that you, dear readers, chip in in the comments section...

No comments:

Post a Comment